Monday, December 20, 2010

How are thy leaves so... foily?

This little house of ours is not meant to be adorned with a Christmas tree. 4 unruly cats and 2 typical kids (who will visit during the holidays!) simply don't allow for a proper tree, which even I had to admit. I am normally really conservative when it comes to a needly friend during Xmas, it's eitherthe real thing or nothing. Period.

Look what the man adopted yesterday.






It is not much taller than a pint, incredibly despicable and made from some sort of foily fiber things. Things. When I came home to it, it wasn't even shaped, and I could not stop laughing for 15 minutes solid. The ugliest piece of third world child labourers impression of a Christmas tree you could imagine! (or at least I suspect child labour for the price of £2.29, reduced from £8!) I instantly fell in love with it.
I always wanted the teddy with the dodgy eye or missing ear as a child, and I always wanted the tree that nobody else wanted for Christmas. Softie, eh? So this awful little fellow made from stuff that probably ends up as bin bags 11 out of 12 months a year stole my heart.

The Man said it was my challenge to make something pretty out of it, so I started immediately.
A pathetic little popcorn chain was made, and the little fellow got a hat and scarf so as not to freeze. Skinny thing MUST be cold, don't you think?

Then I remembered a wonderful post I read not too long ago on Polish The Stars about frosting candle holders with Epsom Salt. How freaking clever is that?
Well, I have no Epsom Salt. So what else sparkles? Yeah, man! Sugar! (at this point I think The Man kinda lost his last bit of trust in me and decided to go with the "Yes, Dear" routine. Bless him, he has suffered a lot.)

Here's what happened:





Get some reasonably sturdy clear plastic and cut your desired shape. Get your sugar and mod podge (or, for savvy folks, cheapo PVA glue) ready.





Attach thread (or pretty wire) to your stars. Watch  your hands, people. Don't ask, okay? (...)









Dry the little beauties together with slices of lemon you happen to have sitting on the radiator, too, for another project:





Start over with the other side, dry again and display:





I am dead chuffed with how these fellas turned out! And I shall do more stuff for that little ugly tree. The plan is to buy nothing new and just use stuff I have 'round the house anyway, so let's see how it goes. I think The Man likes it, too- he sweetly commented how crafting away put a genuine smile on my face and didn't even attempt to strangle me after another giggle- attack while inspecting the tree late at night. Never laughed so much in my life!!

All in all, minus the time it took the stars to dry, the whole session didn't chew up more than half an hour and it is literally a sweet little craft you can fit into even the busiest schedule!

Get frosting, guys, you know it makes sense.

See you soon with further tree- hugging!


Keeping It Simple


mmm button


Making 

BWS tips button

7 comments:

  1. You are hilarious! So glad you're back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE! Although if I used sugar, the tree would be swarmed in no time. I think your little decorations are quite ingenious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I just posted a comment on your other blog but I noticed you don't post there regularly so I thought I would post it here too...


    My name is Sofia and I found you through the Digi Srap Depot website. I am really interested in using the Sinne Fianna Fáil white paper in this post (from other blog) for a blog button. Unfortunately, I am unable to download as it says the link is "invalid". I was hoping you'd be able to help me out? Thanks!

    You can find me @ http://sofiasideas.com/

    sofias (dot) ideas (at) gmail (dot) com

    Sofia's Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the tree, love the tree! I always agreed before, only a real tree will do - but now that I see your teeny faux treelet, I want one just like it. Sugar and salt, who knew? And using clear plastic for stars = genius!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just know the tree will be wonderful when you get all the sugar stars added. Thanks for sharing this at my party.
    Happy Holidays,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. KEWET!!!! I never would have thought of salt --genius!
    And I just love that you love the reject trees. Sometimes I think it's the funny-looking wonky ones that come out the best...probably because they show love the most :)
    Merry Merry to you and your clan, your man, and the munchkins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking back to my post. I love how your sugar stars turned out! Your little tree looks adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete